Thursday, April 24, 2008

AMSTERDAM: 4/20/2008

I started my day at the Anne Frank Huis (Museum) in Amsterdam. Pretty interesting, it had been about twelve years since I read Anne Frank’s Diary and forgot what it was all about. There isn’t any furniture left in their house and I wasn’t allowed to take pictures so you’ll have to check it out yourself, def worth a visit if you are in Amsterdam. As tragic as their lives were I’m glad that Anne at least got her wish of becoming a famous writer and now people around the world read her diary. After the museum, my family and I rode around Amsterdam on one of the canal-buses. These are a great way to see the city! Plus you’re on a boat- what could be better?! Our next stop the Van Gogh Museum! This was really fascinating too! I love art but never studied any of the greats and had no idea Van Gogh went crazy and killed himself, or that he didn’t even start painting until he was 27 years old. There’s still time for me! Ha, from what I’m learned at all these museums most of the great artists don’t have great lives…so I think I’ll keep art as a hobby. *Sint Nicolaaskerk Then it was back to the boat! I rode around the city a while longer, passing under all the bridges and through the old streets full of apartments before meandering the streets by foot getting lost in the alleys. There are tons of outdoor cafes, coffee shops, smart shops, clothing shops, and book stores everywhere you turn.


*The Amsterdam Central train station
*The spot on the canal where you can see under 7 bridges!



No comments: