Thursday, April 24, 2008

Red Light District- it Lives Up to if Not Beyond Reputation…

After dinner we decided it was inevitable we had to take a stroll through the Red Light District (RLD). I was actually surprised to see that the street we ended up on, with clear glass doors marked by a red fluorescent light above and red curtains on the door and windows, was bursting with girls who were actually pretty hot. (Don’t get me wrong not all of them but the majority were pretty girls.) They dress scantily clad in tiny bras and panties. I saw it all in just one little alley, a guy being ushered in- curtain shut, a guy being ushered out, girls giving everyone who passes the come and get me stare…, girls lying on the bed chatting on their cell, you get the drift. These girls make great/quick money but I won’t be quitting my day job anytime soon. Shoot, I just realized I don’t even have a job- well you know what I mean!!

The next night I was sent by someone at the hostel to the row of restaurants by the Waag (an old medieval building) which happens to be on the opposite side of the RLD. I was a little hesitant at first, but eventually I made my way to that area of town as dusk was settling in. This time I was on a different street and when I stopped to see the Oude Kerk (church that is now a museum) by the Waag I realized I was in the wrong part of town. These girls were not hot, AT ALL…they were much feistier and I’d compare one I saw to a bulldog pinned up in the yard. When they guys walking by didn’t want to play she growled and kicked her door with her trashy black boot.. yikes, I had to get out of there ASAP. So apparently the RLD has zone like NYC or any city for that matter, I was in the ghetto of the RLD and last night I had seen 5th Avenue high class shopping. And that’s the RLD in a nutshell!

No comments: